Friday, June 09, 2017

Wow

I can't believe that it has been SEVEN years since I last posted on here. I could have sworn that there was at least one attempt since then. Why? Most likely because of Facebook and lack of writing thought time. Well, I should remedy that and I am going to do so today. I was just writing a post on FB and realized that I was writing something a lot longer than I usually do. And I thought, wait, I still have my Blogger account (I hope) and I've been wanting to use it again, so. . .here we are. I'm setting myself a goal of writing here again at least once a week. So, here's the new starter.

Another Edition of Huh, The Things You Learn

Last year, M opted in for supplemental eye insurance since I wear contacts/glasses. I don't mess around when it comes to my eyes, so I go to the doctor faithfully for that every year. Anyway, this happened after last year's appointment so I only just today got to use the insurance. Yesterday, I had to track down who it was, etc, because I couldn't find the paperwork (thanks again, Matt). It should have been with the other insurance stuff. I think it got shuffled somewhere because it came in separately. I mention this because I wanted to refresh my brain on the particulars of the policy. Also, the account/card only has M's name on it and I wanted to make sure that I was listed. Can never be too careful with insurance. All was fine after I contacted a rep (though getting to a real person through their automated system was a pain in the ass). Good to go and my doc is in network. so yay.

Now, I go to Lenscrafters. I have forever because I've had good luck with the doctors there. My first one (as a teen) had been a private physician and I disliked him a lot. But my second one was amazing (still my favorite one) and he was attached to a Lenscrafters up home for years before finally going solo. I stayed with him until I stopped going to PA a couple of times a year. Have had steady and decent care ever since at the one I go to here.

M bought me my last pair of glasses like 7/8 years ago as a present. I don't wear them much because they tend to make my head wonky for extended periods of time. But they are a solid pair of Ray-bans in great condition. Obviously, my prescription has changed since then and I figured I needed a new pair. I bought some online last year, but they make me dizzy. Dunno why, but I didn't spend a ton of money on them, so I went back to the old pair. Since we have the insurance, I figured I would buy again from Lenscrafters since I can get help if I have problems.

I go in for my appointment this morning and the first learning bit happens. They didn't even need my card. My insurance automatically updated itself in the system. Um, ok. I was thinking it must be something EyeMed does with the in-service providers. Ok. No problem, but if I'd known, I could have saved myself yesterday's hassles. So, while I'm waiting, I do my usual perusal of the frames, only this time with the knowledge that I need to seriously look. I always lean towards Ray-bans for my glasses because I've always liked their styles. And I've worn their sunglasses for years because they last (I'll go through cheap ones at a rate that equals the cost of an RB pair for the same amount of time). For over 20 years, I've only ever had one crappy pair of RB sunglasses. But, I do like looking at all the lines in case something new pops up. The first section was the Sferoflex brand and I found a pair I liked. Wasn't much for the other (non Ray-Ban ) brands though Brooks Brothers had some that were ok. Ray-Ban had several that were possible. I even found a pair that was similar to the Sferoflex ones, which were cheaper. But I didn't ever recall hearing about that brand before, so I decided to kill time with some research on them. I didn't want to spend a ton of money, insurance or not, but I did want good quality. shrug

And here is where today's title truly comes from. Turns out that one Italian company, Luxottica, owns them both. Not only that, they apparently own a bunch of other brands and retailers, including Lenscrafters. They also make frames for a lot of the other brand names (like Brooks Brothers and Burberry) too. That explains the really close similarities in the frames (beyond the normal, there's only so many ways you can make them spiel). 


The real kicker though? They own EyeMed too! No WONDER all my stuff was already in the system. And no wonder my "discounts" at Lenscrafters are so good through the insurance. It's all the same to them. They lose no money on people like me because they pretty much own everything. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that ALL of the styles in the stores are their made by them. I ended up choosing an Armani Exchange pair http://www.lenscrafters.com/lc-us/armani-exchange/8053672696219 (via selfies, M did the tiebreaker between them and a pair of RBs I liked a lot http://www.lenscrafters.com/lc-us/armani-exchange/8053672696219). 

With all of the "discounts," I ended up paying just a little more than I would have for the frames by themselves (or about what the nonprescription sunglasses tend to cost). I out discounts in quotes because, well, M is paying for the insurance. Granted, even with that, it's still less than it would be if we paid outright (especially for the exam -- that's the lowest co-pay I've ever had). So, the whole thing amuses me that it all goes back to the same place. Hey, at least that streamlines the process and I'll know who to complain to if something happens.

No comments: