Ok, a lot has happened in the last two weeks. I'll save anything wedding related for the blog.
The week Yancey was gone was as I had expected. . .busy as hell. One of the Charlotte stores thought it was a good idea to send us 80 boxes of calendars. . .unannounced and the day before our last kiosk day! Those came in that Tuesday before Yancey left. Basically, I answered the door, found out we had a shipment that we had no room for, went back into the store itself and said to Yancey when he asked what it was and looked shock, "You're the manager, you deal with it." I thought he'd refuse shipment but instead he accepted it and tossed it into the storage shed. (sigh) So, I was left to deal with it anyway. We did pretty well while he was gone. I worked Yancey's shift in Wednesday and dragged myself to the mall on Thursday at 6a for the kiosk's take down. Friday was a bit confusing because we had our regular shipment coming in, our returns going out (the 80 boxes went out on Thursday because the FedEx truck broke on Wednesday), AND he had another 28 boxes of calendars from Charlotte! I was like, "Hell no!" I told our delivery dude (Sheraton) not to unwrap them and then I made some calls. In the end they got sent on to the same store that got the 80 (that dragged into this week but I'll spare you the details). Michael was on call most of the day so he came and helped me unpack boxes. It was a long and exhausting week.
This past week wasn't much better. I was finally able to start my shortened hours at the store (15) but ended up with two more classes at school because one of the other adjuncts had to drop out of teaching. He's an older guy and has gotten sick. They only found out on Tuesday that he wouldn't be returning. I happened to walk into the office just as they were trying to decide what to do. Well, I am really the only one who could help so I took two of his three classes. They are in the mornings for when I'm already there. Only problem was that would keep me from getting out the new stuff. So I called Yancey and said that I couldn't work one of my mornings. He was ok with it. By the time yesterday rolled around, I was exhausted. Michael and I had a long discussion on Thursday night about it all. There's a good chance that I will get to teach over the summer and also get a lot of classes for the fall. We figured out how much time I have to do stuff and it's really daunting. Even though the store would only take up 12 hours a week. . .it's still too much. And it's draining because I am constantly following up behind people to see that things get done and I have no time to do what we had planned for me to do. I have no time or energy for outside sales -- unless they are already set up.
So. . .I turned in my keys yesterday.
Seems sudden, non? Well, not really. I knew my time was over. I have offered to be available for emergencies. I only need to work once a month to stay on payroll. But that's Yancey's call. He didn't say yay or nay. But the others need the hours more than I do now. And I've finally accepted the end of that phase of my life. I learned a lot and I got Michael and Jon out of the mix so I'm satisfied. School and home are where I need to focus now. No more divided loyalties. (sigh) Anyway, there's more stuff but I'll save it for another entry. Hugs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment